PDA

View Full Version : Lê Cung, một ngôi sao võ thuật (nguoiviet)

bilu
02/21/2005, 01:19 PM
Anh TomCat đọc xem, coi có giống câu chuyện của anh ngày xưa bị mấy nhóc ở ngã 5 và Tư Chánh A bắt phạt không? :D :D :D

Lê Cung, một cư dân San Jose, một cậu học trò ốm yếu thường hay bị lũ bạn bắt nạt từ 20 năm trước, nay đã trở thành một ngôi sao đánh đấm và điện ảnh. Anh sẽ đóng cùng với Jet Li trong những bộ phim sắp tới.

http://www.nguoi-viet.com/absolutenm/anmviewer.asp?a=18857&z=19
Fighting and focus
Thursday, February 17, 2005 By Anh Do
http://www.nguoi-viet.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/18857-cung1.JPG http://www.nguoi-viet.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/18857-cung2.JPG
Champion Cung Lê, gracing the cover of last December's issue of Black Belt magazine -- Cung Lê always takes time to reflect and pump himself up in his mind for this match in San Jose in 1999. He is considered the force behind sanshou, which was recognized as a U.S. professional sport by the ISKA in 1998.

Cung Lê is talking about kicks.

Scissors kicks, to be precise.

It’s his signature move, and observers say no one else in the world can launch it like him. When he’s about to attack, he coils his powerful body — whipping his heel straight into an opponent’s stomach, leaving the guy gasping — while using his free leg to sweep the enemy’s legs out from under him.

He unleashes his force ever so quick, allowing him to win battle after battle, beating Japan’s Manaro Taro and China’s Naushauguerile, otherwise known as “Mongolian King.” Lê got into sports at the age of 10, surpassing Vietnamese kung fu and tae kwon do to become a master of sanshou, a lethal martial art developed in the 1920s when Chinese leader Sun Yat-Sen was looking for his troops to be more effective at close-quarters combat.

In this form, a competitor uses the hands of boxing, the specialized kicks of kung fu and the throws of Greco-Roman wrestling. And Lê, with medals from around the globe, having made his mark in this fighting world, is now moving over to the movie world.

He’s shooting his first film and planning his first trip to Việt Nam — he left as a two-year-old in 1975 — as part of his role.

“A lot of people get great ideas, but they don’t have the type of focus to follow through and Cung’s never had that problem,” says actor-director Todd Roy, who plays Lê’s sidekick in the action drama tentatively titled “Tomorrow’s Never Promised.”

“There’s an innate professionalism with Cung on the set,” he adds. “You can get distracted very easily with a million things going on, but he stands there in his boxer shorts and tunes all of that out. It’s incredible, and I think it’s from his experience in the ring. He just does his job.”

The intensity that Roy sees, Scott Coker sees.

Coker, president and CEO of K-1, a fight promotion company based in San Jose — where Lê lives — has been in the business for 20 years. “I’ve seen a lot of fighters in my day, but Cung is very special,” he notes. “He has all of the makings of the superstar that he is, his ability to kick, to punch, to throw, the build and the Hollywood good looks. He’s the complete package.

“Here’s a guy that really was not afraid to fight anybody, and he fought all the guys that people told him to stay away from,” Coker says. “Cung works out unlike anybody I’ve ever known. Even after he had surgery, he was constantly in motion. You couldn’t keep him still.”

Lê, though, tried to stay still for about an hour, in between workouts, between caring for his newborn son, to share with Nguoi Viet 2 readers:

On how athletics first lured him:

I was beaten up all the time in elementary school. I was really skinny and the bullies picked on me. They called me names. One day I came home with two black eyes, and my mother told me I better start defending myself. I studied tae kwon do... I went to the Hùng Vương Institute and in eighth grade, I took up wrestling.

On progress:

Later on, no one wanted to challenge me. They knew I might pop their shoulders. At lunchtime, I ran up and down the bleachers. I was always trying to get better. (At San Jose High Academy, he was selected as an All-American wrestler his junior and senior year, and during the latter, won the national championship in Greco-Roman wrestling). I was always working out.

On training, and training alone:

I used to have trainers, but I learned at an accelerated pace. All the teachers wouldn’t show me a lot at once; they were holding me back. So I tried to do it on my own.

On how he does it on his own:

It’s discipline. Focus. Determination. It’s knowing yourself, and knowing what your body can do. Whenever I train, I train for myself. I push myself. I love to do it. It’s a never-ending process of learning.

On balancing his physical life with his personal life:

I have two (kickboxing) gyms in San Jose and Santa Clara, I teach every day. And I’ve worked with thousands of students. They’re all ages, and there are mothers, fathers and kids of all races. It’s important to let them know that they can be whoever they want to be... My mom raised me and she’s the one who taught me that family comes first. It should always be first.

On fatherhood:

It’s very satisfying. Sometimes I wished I had a dad who would say, “I’m very proud of you, son.” And now that I’m a dad, my goal is just to always be there for my sons. They will know how to fight, but I’m not going to expect them to fight. I’m gonna support them in whatever they do.

On his own goals, after 18 months of acting lessons:

There are not enough Vietnamese American actors out there making a name (for themselves). I will do my best to represent the Vietnamese community... I turned down parts while I was fighting, but now I’m ready. It’s new, and it’s pretty exciting. I have a major fight scene in Jet Li’s upcoming movie and we have been scouting locations for my movie, which is an independent.

On the theme of that movie:

I play a military guy who’s been discharged with a problem sister, who got involved with the wrong people. She gets in trouble. I try to help out, then get myself in trouble. We’ve been in the Bay Area but we’re looking to go to Việt Nam.

On staying on top:

I feel like a champion is someone who is developed. Having natural talent helps, but anyone with the desire can do it... My desire started in eighth grade.

Lê, adds Roy, his fellow actor, is consumed by that desire, which helps him to live “what you might consider an authentic life, the life of someone who loves what they do. It makes them kinda glow. And when you get close to him, you get a little bit of that magic he has.”

Is there anything Lê doesn’t like about wrestling?

“The only thing is you have to diet,” he says. “My favorite is phở, but I eat egg whites for breakfast. I eat potatoes, yams, chicken, fish, sushi. Absolutely no fast food and no processed food. You gotta do what it takes.”

antra
02/21/2005, 01:29 PM
Lê Cung này đã lên Asia rồi mà bilu. Anh chàng nói chuyện thiệt dễ thương, cám ơn má , cám ơn em Thủy đã cầu nguyện chúa mỗi lần đi đấu :innocent:. Làm bây giơè chị cũng bắt chước mỗi lần muốn ủng hộ ai thắng là cứ lâm râm cầu nguyện :original: