PDA

View Full Version : The Awakening

HaiTa
04/22/2007, 09:14 AM
The Awakening
Haines Point, SW Washington DC

http://www.schuminweb.com/schumin-web/photography/2003/awakening.asp

“The Awakening” is a five part cast aluminum sculpture created by J. Seward Johnson, Jr. for the 1980 International Sculpture Exhibition and Conference. Placed in conjunction with the National Park Service, the “giant” is situated on the grounds of Haines Point and the banks of the Potomac River.

chicken
04/22/2007, 09:38 AM
Tui đề nghị nên dựng một cái tại bến Bạch Đằng trên sông Saigon, nghe cũng có lý đó.

The Awakening at Hains Point
The Awakening is statue in East Potomac Park, at a place called Hains Point at the very end of the park. East Potomac Park is a public park along the banks of the Potomac River in Washington DC, occupying a jalapeño-shaped peninsula between the Potomac River and the Washington Channel. East Potomac Park contains a public golf course, picnic areas, other recreational areas, and at the very end of the park, is The Awakening, a unique statue created by J. Seward Johnson. The statue is designed to appear to be much more than it actually is. It depicts a giant poking out of the ground upon waking up from a slumber. As such, his head, both hands, his right knee, and his right foot are visible.

Getting to the statue was more complicated than what I usually do. Usually, I will take Metro to the nearest station, and then walk from there. However, it was not so easy. See, there are no Metro stations anywhere near the park (the nearest is Smithsonian), plus East Potomac Park in itself is a very long park with water on three sides. And with my schedule that day, I needed every second I could get, making walking from the Metro impractical. So from the 12th and Independence entrance to the Smithsonian Station, I hailed a cab, and had the cabbie take me straight to the statue. Easy enough. Coming back, though, since cabbies didn't exactly come into the park normally, I had to call a cab, wait for the cab, and then got the cabbie to take me back to the Smithsonian Station so I could catch the train to go on to my next target, which consisted of urban scenes in Northwest DC.

All in all, it was an interesting visit. Join me now, and see...
http://www.schuminweb.com/schumin-web/photography/2003/awakening.asp

PDK
04/23/2007, 07:49 AM
Một cuốn phim khá hay và xúc động ...

Dân Đông Âu, dân Nga có khác gì không ? Những con người thức tỉnh dậy sau một giấc ngũ dài ...

Và thời điểm cuốn phim ra đời cũng đầy "ấn tượng" sau khi bức tường Bá Linh sụp đổ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Wall) ...

Anh Chicken đã xem chưa ?

:D :D :D

--------------------------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awakenings

Awakenings

This article is about a 1990 film. For other uses, see Awakening.
Awakenings is a 1990 drama film based on Oliver Sacks' memoir, Awakenings. It tells the true story of a doctor (Oliver Sacks, fictionalized as Malcolm Sayer) who, in 1969, discovers beneficial effects of the then-new drug L-Dopa. He applied it on catatonic patients who survived the 1917-1928 epidemic of encephalitis lethargica. Leonard Lowe (played by Robert De Niro) and the rest of the patients were awoken after decades of catatonic state and have to deal with a new life in a new time.

Directed by Penny Marshall, the film stars Robert De Niro, Robin Williams, John Heard, Julie Kavner, Penelope Ann Miller and Max Von Sydow. The film also has cameos from Jazz legend Dexter Gordon who appears as a patient and then-unknown Vin Diesel who plays a hospital orderly.

Sayer revives all of the patients from their immovable state, but as he finds out later in the movie, he cannot stop them from returning once again to that state, no matter how much he increases the L-Dopa doseage. Leonard Lowe, who was the first to "awake", begins to withdraw first, and all of the patients are forced to witness what will eventually happen to them. Leonard begins to have full body spasms and can hardly move, saying that he feels more like a series of ticks than an actual human. Leonard, however, puts up well with the pain, and asks Sayer to film him, in hopes that he would some day contribute to research that may eventually help others. He also takes a romantic interest to a woman named Paula, whose father is in the hospital.

Leonard and Sayer clash with the hospital administration, who refuse to let any of the patients outside on their own. Sayer reluctantly agrees with the decision, putting him at odds with Leonard, who has come to fully appreciate every aspect of life after being asleep for so many years. The two eventually reconcile, but Leonard returns to his catatonic state soon after, which is painful for the nurses, Sayer and especially Leonard's mother. Sayer tells a group of grant donors to the hospital that although the "awakening" did not last, another kind - one of learning to appreciate and live life - took place. Nevertheless, Sayer still finds himself depressed for failing to keep the Leonard "awake", but Eleanor tells him that he is a good person and Leonard considered him his best friend. Sayer, remembering Leonard's advice on living every minute of life, asks Eleanor to join him for a cup of coffee.

The movie was adapted by Steven Fredrick Zaillian from the book of the same name. The book was also used by Harold Pinter as the basis of his one-act play A Kind of Alaska, performed in 1982.

The film was nominated for Academy Awards for Best Actor in a Leading Role (Robert De Niro), Best Picture and Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium.

The film's plot was also the basis for one section of the Dream Theater song Octavarium.