kết quả từ 1 tới 4 trên 4

Ðề tài: The fall of the Blackberry

The fall of the Blackberry

A bit long but interesting. Bạn K nhà mình chắc phải đọc . I guess they didn't learn the Nortel lesson

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...563602/?page=1

xt
    Tim là nhạc, Tuổi là thơ, Đời là bạn, Tình là ca

Tham gia ngày
    Jan 2006
    Bài gởi
    A sad news to local businesses. In fact, a really sad news.

RIM/Blackberry is a very successful story that came right out of the university I attended. It's a jewel. It's the locomotive. It's the marker that drew Waterloo as a super star in the world map. It made few hundreds local people became millionaires almost overnight (few of my friends - both Vietnamese and native Canadian). Unfortunately, after a relative short corporate life-time, it failed miserably. And badly enough, it failed at the speed of light !

From my perspective, here are what I see:

- Resist to change, too slow to adapt to the new challenge: The founders always believed that their keyboard is the best and it's irreplaceable (they even arrogantly declared that they owned that market). That's ways too wrong. I sensed the change to larger screen with soft keyboard back in the early part of 2000's was in the making (even before the release of the very first iPhone) and wish that the new Blackberry will come out with a larger screen. Release by release, model by model, I kept seeing the physical keyboard was there to stay. iPhone and then Samsung keep pounding the market with larger and larger phone screens. The release of Z10 is too little and too late. Both with the OS upgrade and with the screen type.

- The co-founder were sleeping on their winning laurel: Making too much money too fast may be not a great idea even with the top thinker. RIM park and Hockey team might be the other two main factors for this failure as well.

- Unfair competition from US: I was so confused about the wireless pattern and the fine of 700 millions for that pattern. This is the very first direct hit on RIM/Blackberry name and its financial. If RIM/Blackberry is a US company, there was no legal fight likes this happened.

- A dangerous business model: The way that Blackberry runs its communication network to support its messenger will make lots of money from support and easy to roll out/control the whole network. However, that's also the double-blade sword. Whenever there is a bad news, it will hit RIM/Blackberry directly. Few hiccups of messenger issue really blew RIM/Blackberry away in the early stage of its fall.

A failed grade is a bad grade. However, Waterloo is definitely not a single horse economy. There are few top players in the making that you will see sooner or later.

Pixstream was one of them before that Cisco bought it for few hundred millions and then shut it down within few months !

Few of them such as Kik, OpenText, and Design2Learn are current local rising stars. You will hear about them sooner or later.

I work for a US company at the local office. Local economy actually doesn't have any direct impact on me.

However, I really love this place. I always wish all the best for the city that I spent most time of my life to live in. I do feel its heartbeat. I feel sad and share its bad news. I cheer up with it winnings and proud of its success.

I do believe it will survive the current downfall.
    thay đổi nội dung bởi: PDK, ngày 10/03/2013 lúc 08:16 AM

PS. 安洲 ... 曰 ...
    Cho riêng bác Anmota !

I wonder if this is "Canadian" traits
    Tim là nhạc, Tuổi là thơ, Đời là bạn, Tình là ca

Tham gia ngày
    Jan 2006
    Bài gởi
    Trích Nguyên văn bởi xì trum View Post
    I wonder if this is "Canadian" traits

We called it Canadian Identity ;-)

PS. 安洲 ... 曰 ...